Tourism Relief Fund Open for Applications
The Tourism Relief Fund is a program of the Government of Canada that supports businesses by enabling them to invest in expanding and enhancing visitor products and services. Administered by the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario), the program is designed to help businesses and destinations recover from the deep challenges of the pandemic and build toward future, sustained growth.
- The application process is now officially open. Applications will be accepted until May 15, 2022.
- Applications and additional funding information may be found at: Regional Tourism Organization 5 (destinationtoronto.com)
- Organizations that have already received funding from the Tourism Relief Fund are not eligible to apply for this round of funding.
- Not-for-profit incorporated organizations (including tourism associations, destination management organizations and BIAs)
- Incorporated businesses, primarily small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)
- Post secondary institutions
- Indigenous/First Nation/Metis owned businesses and organizations
Businesses that are in the following industries are not eligible for participation in this program:
- Restaurants and restaurant chains
- Hotel chains
- Sole proprietors*
- Retail sector businesses
*Indigenous sole proprietors are eligible.
Note 1: Independent businesses operating in the restaurant, hotel and retail sector may be considered for funding if they are an anchor product and the main reason for attracting visitors to the region. This will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Note 2: If you are an eligible applicant whose operations reside outside of the RTO5 region, applications for the Tourism Relief Fund are available in your region. To check which regional office is accepting applications on your behalf, see TourismRelief.ca
Eligible applicants can apply for a non-repayable contribution between $20,000 and $100,000 for up to 50% of eligible project costs for incorporated for-profit businesses and up to 100% of eligible project costs for not-for-profit organizations and municipalities. Costs may be eligible on a retroactive basis for up to 12 months prior to the receipt of a project application, but no earlier than April 19, 2021. All projects must be completed by, and all project expenses incurred no later than December 31, 2022.
Please thoroughly read the Tourism Relief Fund guidelines which can be found at Regional Tourism Organization 5 (destinationtoronto.com)