BRAMPTON, ON – Exciting transformation is coming to downtown Brampton! Brampton City Council today unanimously approved moving forward with the recommended project plans for the Downtown Reimagined initiative. This project, which includes critical infrastructure and significant streetscaping in the city’s core, is being implemented by the Region of Peel in partnership with the City of Brampton.
The project includes:
• Replacement and relining the existing aging sanitary sewers;
• Installation of new watermains and sanitary and storm sewers and other utilities to accommodate future growth; and,
• Construction of new streetscaping.
To ensure timely and effective completion, vehicular traffic will be restricted in the area during construction that is expected to take 2.5 to 3 years. The Region of Peel will commence work on critical infrastructure in fall 2018. The target date for completion of the entire project is 2021.
When completed, Downtown Reimagined will create a vibrant public realm with an aesthetically beautiful streetscape around the historic Four Corners. The new streetscape – from Mill Street South to Chapel Street on Queen Street and Nelson Street East to Wellington Street on Main Street – will bring together pedestrians, cyclists and motorists in a safe and sustainable manner. With a range of high design amenities, such as addition of cycle lanes to landscaping between street and sidewalk in order to capitalize on pedestrian walkability and enhance amenities, the public realm in downtown Brampton is set to undergo an exciting transformation.
For more information, including videos, images and updates, residents and businesses are encouraged to sign up at www.brampton.ca/downtownreimagined
What to expect
• Pedestrian and business access will remain open at all times throughout the downtown core
• The road closure for vehicular traffic is expected for 2 years on Queen Street between George St and Chapel Street (intersections remain open) and Main Street between Wellington Street and Nelson Street West (intersections remain open)
• To the greatest extent possible, the City is working to maintain the festivals and events that take place in Garden Square or Ken Whillans Square
• Enhanced road signage and wayfinding will be in place prior to any traffic changes to give the public enough notice to plan their route. “Open for Business” signs will be included during construction.
• Parking garage incentives will be in place for the duration of construction
• Visitors will be directed to the existing five parking garages through improved wayfinding
“The people of Brampton have spoken. They want a more vibrant city that is an exciting place to live, work and play. Our downtown is on the cusp of transformation – we have a university coming in, a new centre for innovation on the works and this project is a kick-start to all that is exciting.”
– Councillor Doug Whillans, Chair, Public Works and Engineering Committee
“Downtown Reimagined is one of the first steps in delivering Brampton 2040 Vision. In the next five years, downtown Brampton will be a hive of activity as a number of exciting initiatives bring in new development and growth. We acknowledge construction will have a big impact and we are committed to working with our partners at the Region of Peel, the downtown BIA and all our stakeholders to minimize disruption and ensure a safe transition of traffic and pedestrian movement during the construction.”
– Harry Schlange, Chief Administrative Officer
Brampton is thinking bigger. We are a future ready organization with a sharp focus. We know our community’s growth, youth and diversity set us apart. We sit at the centre of Canada’s innovation super corridor, encouraging investment and growing our global success. We are building vibrant urban centres that ignite opportunity and instill pride in the people who live and work here. We are moving Brampton forward to be a connected city that is innovative, inclusive and bold. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Learn more at www.brampton.ca.
City of Brampton
905.874.3654 | email@example.com